Wednesday, August 8, 2018

End-of-Summer Adventures

This past Saturday, we drove to Lake Erie. It had been on our list of places to visit since moving to Pittsburgh. I even drove part of the way, stopping only when I desperately needed something to drink. I’m not yet adept enough behind the wheel to drink water and drive. Or, in this instance, Gatorade. Even as I am improving.

The drive and day was gorgeous. The beach was too gravelly for our tastes; the sand too hot on my bare feet; the water too cold for me. (C. was the one who thoroughly enjoyed swimming. I waded to my knees.) The kid was not impressed. He didn’t like the sand in his diaper, he didn’t enjoy the waves. But we came home with multiple photos, and more memories, and perhaps the kid will like the beach better the next time. (Perhaps unfortunately, every photo we took have the kid in them, and C. and I have made the conscious decision to not post his photo anywhere online or social media. We kept saying how we should get a photo of the Lake, but every time I tried to frame one, there was always too many people in my shot.)

We also walked around Frontier Park, and listened to some music as there was a Blues and Jazz Festival happening. And we had dinner at Pineapple Eddie Southern Bistro. Which was fantastic. Every bit worth the five star reviews. (And a shot out to the family, who, hearing we were in Erie for the day, and didn’t have a reservation at the crowded restaurant, graciously let us share their table as members of their party backed out of dinner.)

It had been some time since we’d gone on a mini-adventure, and this one was a great amount of fun.

***

Outside of family beach adventures, I still find myself thinking on the things I learned at SLA 2018, nearly two months ago now, and how I can apply them to my career. I’m feeling like currently I am stuck in a rut, but it’s one I am not quite sure how I can get out. I have ideas, but most require planning, and planning requires time.

I am looking at ways I can improve my skills. I’ve always wanted to learn to code. And while I keep getting emails for the Knowledge Management courses through SLA, I do not have the extra money to pay the tuition. (If anyone does know of where I could take courses in Knowledge Management or Data Science at little to no cost, it’d be much appreciated if you could pass on the information.)

For me, the new year always starts more in the fall, and with just a month to go, I’m hopeful for great things to happen.

1 comment:

  1. Have you looked at Coursera? Not sure that it's the 'right' kind of knowledge management, but they do offer a certification course. https://www.coursera.org/?siteID=AysPbYF8vuM-kx1emxgf5XH6EtRwffT3rA&utm_content=4&utm_medium=partners&utm_source=linkshare&utm_campaign=AysPbYF8vuM

    ReplyDelete