Sunday, April 9, 2017

SLA, Cataloging, Anime, and D&D (or lack thereof)

The issue, of course, with not always updating as things happen, is then I find myself in a case like tonight, where multiple things have happened, and I need to remember all.

1. Phase 1 of the inventory/catalog all the boxes is complete. My desk is currently covered in folders. For a good two or three weeks, getting to my desk was an Olympic obstacle course. But slowly and surely, I am have the boxes nearest to my desk labelled, and better situated, so at least now, my area is not an as bad fire hazard. I am also getting into the Filing room and starting to better organize the drawers of stuff. I've started at each end of the Alphabet, organizing the A-C's, and the W's, and will be working my way into the middle. The W's, in particular, is a large chunk of the collection, and it will be a project in itself. I plan to spend the nest week in and out of the filing room organizing.

2. Wednesday brought my first attempt at the female-only D&D group. Unfortunately, the first session never quite got off the ground. We had five or so people interested, but two called out sick last minute, two had work commitments they were unable to get out of, and one... one person showed. Which did mean she got first pick of the characters, and she does promise to come back in May. Hopefully, we get a bigger crowd.

3. Thursday brought a SLA event with the Pittsburgh chapter. Earlier this week, after talking with the Chapter President, President-Elect, and Past President, I officially took reigns of their social media, and created a Twitter account for them. We premiered it with the event, live-tweeting the discussion on Grant Coordination and Development Research. I dragged C. with me, as I hoped the event/discussion would help to inspire his job search. Which it seems to have done. I'm definitely slowly finding my place in the Pittsburgh SLA chapter, for which I am immensely grateful.

4. Saturday, I attended the local anime convention. It was a lot of walking around. I actually didn't attend any panels, and none really sounded interesting. Rather, I spent a lot of time walking around the Dealer's Room, the Game Room, and people watching. It was surprisingly fun, and I picked up a few things, mainly a Ryuk doll to accompany the L doll I bought at a similar convention six or so years ago.

5. Today had me downtown as well, this time to attend the town hall for one of Pennsylvania's two senators. It ended up being a 90 minutes open Q&A, and I'm very glad I attended.

Next week, I hope, should bring more adventures.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad that there is an anime convention for you to attend, and I'm glad that you are getting involved in the Pittsburgh chapter of SLA.

    ReplyDelete